The media and press will have you believe that 3D Printing is a new technology. However, it’s been around for 30 years, invented by 3D System’s Chuck Hull. CRDM have been printing for almost 20 years in Buckinghamshire, but have been shipping throughout the UK and Worldwide. This makes us something of a recognised expert in the field. We cover the whole of the UK, we also provide a fast 24-hour turnaround service in the Isle of Wight area.
3D printing offers an alternative way of prototyping and low volume manufacturing; the key benefits are making parts quicker than traditional methods of manufacturing, thereby shortening the design cycle as well as possibly reducing costs.
Examples of Sectors that use 3D Printing technology:
- The Automotive & Autosport Sectors
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Projects
- Aerospace Engineering
- Architectural Industry
- Graphic Designers and Sculptors
- Inventors and Creative Engineers
- 3D printing can be used in most industries that require tangible objects/tools
There are four ways that we can carry out 3D printing…
- SLA (Stereolithography) where we cure photopolymer liquids with a laser to make parts, a popular 3d printing method.
- SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) where a laser accurately melts nylon powder in 0.1mm layers.
- FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling) is a process of heating ABS material through a heated nozzle through a process which is like icing a cake.
- DMP and DMLS (Direct Metal Printing or Direct Metal Laser Sintering) is printing components from metal powder in 40-micron layers using a laser.
Before we can print parts, we require a 3D CAD. The main format is an STL file and this is the universal language that 3D printers read. STL files are simply sliced into layers and 3D printing will print each slice of the CAD, layer by layer, to make a complete part or component.
CRDM focus on the professional and production aspect of manufacture, running machines that only a few companies in the UK that have the skills and resources to operate.
If you have a specific requirement and you are based in the Isle of Wight, we would be more than happy to help you!
Request Your Free Quotation!